Here is a list of the modifications I’ve performed to my Boxster to make it a little more personalized and user friendly.
- Rolling top up/down relay modification
- Clear side markers
- OBC (onboard computer) modification to display outside temp, fuel economy, etc.
- European drivers side wide angle aspheric mirror
- Silver crest valve stem covers – $12 from Porsche
- Bumper Plugs for the front plate location to match bumper
- Audio system
- B&M Short throw shifter – Buy
- Foot well lighting
- Removed Airbag Stickers on visors using denatured alcohol
- Removed Intake Snorkel to change induction sounds and perhaps slightly increase horsepower
- Ultimate Cup Holder installed on drivers side – out of the way and works well!
- Clear (2003-style) front head lights w/ Amber diffuser filter removed, Philips Silver Vision PY21W (1156) turn signal Bulbs installed
(before / after picture of internal amber diffuser filter removal)
- Clear (2003-style) rear tail lights
- Philips Silver Vision PY21W (1156) turn signal Bulbs – silver bulbs that illuminate in amber to replace standard amber bulbs in the front and rear light assemblies. I purchased from AMBulbs.com. (The bluish Sylvania Osram PY21W Diadem bulbs are a second choice.) You may have to break off one of the tabs at the base of the bulb to insert it into the socket.
- Wheel spacers: 15mm front and rear. (Wish I’d gotten 17mm rear, in case ever I decided to install wider 911 rims.) I’d considered 7mm for the front spacers, but that would have been too little of a difference vs. stock.
Upgrades that I’d like to do but will never probably get around to actually doing:
- Replacement soft top with glass rear window – Link
- Zeintop Cayman-style hardtop – Link
- Flashing side markers with turn signals
- Variable intermittent wipers
- 3.4L or 3.6L 911 engine upgrade – PDF Instructions for Porsche Boxster 3.4L Engine Swap
- Painted center wheel caps
Magnetic Numbers for doors: 8″ tall, Black on white rounded rectangle background, Gill Sans font. I purchased these from FireBallGraphix. (The number on my car: 808.)
Head Protection: I purchased these from Summit Racing.
- G-Force Pro Force One full face helmet: black, Snell SA2005 rating. I like the reasonable pricing of G-force helmets, their lighter weight due to a composite shell, and the fact that they have HANS (head and neck support) attachments, which was rare at the time of purchase.
- HANS device. Yes it’s less comfortable, but it offers critical protection in unfortunate situations.
- G-Force helmet bag in black.
Sunset Porsche – Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR. Bob McCarty is the parts manager. The best place to buy Porsche parts I’ve found. 1-800-346-0182.
RennTech.org Forum – threads are more persistent in this forum so it is better for technical/mod discussions
Babblers Board – another great discussion forum, especially for those on the west coast.
Porsche TechArt – aftermarket equipment from Porsche
Bumper Plugs – Match your paint color, hide the ugly mounting for front plates.
Titan Motorsports – The place to buy a B&M short throw shifter
Henry Verheyen’s Boxster page
Mike Frocke’s list of salvage companies that specialize in Porsche parts